It is common for an old mower to stop running out of the blue for a faulty engine and fuel chamber. But the same is abnormal with a new Troy Bilt lawn mower. There are many cases where the newly bought lawnmower moves well on the first day, but ironically it is not starting at all the very next day. Now the question is, why your troy bilt lawn mower won’t start?
There can be many reasons, such as misplaced drive belt, clogged carburetor, loosen sprat, clogged air filter, lack of proper connection between the fuel chamber and the engine, lack of maintenance, etc.
Here in this troubleshooting guide, we will dig deeper into these problems and give you the best practical solution.
Why Troy Bilt Lawn Mower Won’t Start
Most of the lawnmower gives a hard time while starting the gadget. Frankly speaking, it costs a lot to get a new mower for the seasonal trimming. Moreover, we can assure you that the decision won’t be a smart one.
Regular maintenance and some basic knowledge of fixing a faulty piece will help your old lawn mower to serve for a few more years. So without any delay, let’s get to know the most common reason why your new troy bilt lawn mower won’t start.
|Associated problems||Best possible solution|
|Clogged carburetor||Use a mild carburetor cleaner to clean the clogged carburetor|
|Loose and misplaced spark plug||Clean the spark and plug it in the correct position tightly|
|Dirty, clogged, and broken air filter||Clean air filter or replace|
|Bad fuel||Refill new fuel|
|Loose battery and cable connection||Replace the battery and reconnect the new cables|
|Damaged ignition coil||Replace the faulty ignition coil.|
Problem-1: Clogged carburetor
A carburetor works by mixing the fuel and atmospheric air. This device mainly facilitates combustion inside the engine.
It easily gets clogged by the ethanol deposits and impurities of the fuel. So, if the carburetor is jammed your troy bilt riding mower won’t start.
- carburetor cleaner
- Replacement carburetor if needed.
- Nylon brush
- First, dilute the carburetor cleaner with water in a 1:3 ratio into a large bowl.
- Disassemble the carburetor from the lawnmower.
- Unscrew the bowl-carburetor float.
- Soak the carburetor, including its float, into the carburetor cleaner mixture.
- Scrub the dirt using a nylon brush.
- wait for 10 minutes
- Rinse the excess water.
- Reassemble all the parts accordingly.
- If any parts of the carburetor are broken, simply install the replaced carburetor in place of the old one.
Problem-2: loose and misplaced spark plug
There is a great possibility that your troy bilt lawn mower won’t start after sitting because of the loose and misplaced spark plug. Sometimes the plug gets damaged by repetitive use and excess deposition of carbon particles from combustion.
- Spark plug tester.
- new spark plug
- Clean cloth.
- At the onset of the work, check if the plug is damaged or simply loose.
- Use a spark plug tester and look for a spark between the terminals.
- If the spark plug is damaged, use a new spark plug and replace the old plug.
- Otherwise, clean the old spark plug with a piece of clean cloth and attach it to the mower tightly.
- Switch on the lawn mower to check if it starts or not.
Problem-3: Dirty, clogged, and broken air filter
Have you ever thought about why your troy bilt lawn mower won’t start just clicks? Then try checking the air filter. A clogged air filter cannot filtrate the air. So, it hampers the process of combustion inside the internal engine.
- air filter cleaner
- Warm water.
- Let’s start by mixing the air filter cleaner with warm water.
- Then simply take off the air filter and brush off the dry dust.
- If all the pores of the filter are clogged, it is best to replace them with a replacement filter.
- Otherwise, soak the filter in the cleaner solution and wait for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Dry the air filter and reinstall it in the lawn mower.
Problem-4: Bad fuel
When did you last change your mower’s fuel? A troy bilt push mower won’t start when hot. Days old fuel or bad fuel is responsible for this overheating issue of the mower.
- Fresh gasoline or other gaseous fuel
- A funnel
- Remove the old fuel from the fuel chamber of the lawnmower.
- Place a funnel above the fuel chamber.
- Pour the fresh gasoline into the mower.
- Close the chamber tightly to make sure you are not outofgas.
Problem-5: loose battery and cable connection
Batteries run out easily once their self-life is completed. But there is nothing to be perplexed about. Replacement batteries are available on Amazon, and other local stores. Instead of the worn-out battery, you should worry more about a loose cable connection.
- Replacement battery
- Clean cloth.
- New cables.
- Multi screwdriver
- Micro flush cutter
- Starting with a worn-out battery, simply open the battery chamber and match the terminals.
- Install the new pair replacing the old batteries.
- Remove the damaged cables from the lawnmower.
- Cut the cables into the needed length using a micro flush cutter.
- Zip the new cable in place of the worn-out wires.
Problem-6: Damaged ignition coil
Once you have tried all the above procedures, look for the damaged ignition coil. A damaged ignition coil fails to provide the spark plug with the necessary voltage to run. That is why the Troy bilt lawn mower won’t start after running.
- Replacement ignition coil.
- Ignition coil tester.
- First, check the spark plug.
- Then use an ignition coil tester to check the damage in the coil.
- Uninstall the old ignition coil and install the replacement ignition coil.
- Restart the mower to check if the coil has fitted perfectly.
This Video Will Help You Too!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What do you do when your troy bilt lawn mower won’t start?
If the mower does not start, you should start checking the air filter and fuel filter condition, clogged carburetor, damaged cables, worn-out batteries, etc., and solve the problems accordingly.
What is the first to check if a lawnmower won’t start?
The first thing you should check if your lawnmower is not starting is the safety stitch condition and damaged cables. Once it is done, proceed with the deep examination of the clogged carburetor, fuel, and air filter.
How do you troubleshoot a Troy bilt lawn mower?
If the problem is in starting the mower, you should start troubleshooting all the fuel and engine-related problems. But if the mower halts after running for a while, you should focus on the battery power consumption.
Hope that you have got clear-cut ideas about why your troy bilt lawn mower won’t start. All the problems we mentioned above do not require any special engineering knowledge. If you are not confident enough, you can seek help from professionals.
But the tricky part is getting your mower wild in the lawn is finding suitable replacement parts. This won’t be an issue if you know your mower’s model number and brand. In any case, you can leave a text in the service care center of the Troy bilt lawn mower.
You Can Also Read:
Hi, I’m Mark Jason, the founder Of Inside The Yard. Anyone who feels inspired by the beauty of greenery, welcome to Inside Yard, a place that appreciates gems like you. I and my team would feel honored to have you join us here, where we share multiple contents on maintaining and creating your own green space. Whether it’s a garden you dream to make or simply for the love of your potted plant staying at the balcony, we want to help you live and love through this green peace.