How to Secure a Zero Turn Mower on a Trailer- Guide with Pro Tips
You always move your mower here to there and find it challenging to carry the mower in the trailer. So, you don’t know how to secure a zero turn mower on a trailer. It’s pretty straightforward; just make sure to tighten the mower with ratchet straps well. Some other tips should be practical to follow, too.
Loading your mower on a trailer with an unsecured load will lead to dire consequences, and you might be in trouble.
And so, we will let you know A to Z about securing the mower in a trailer to move without carrying any headache.
How To Secure A Zero Turn Mower On A Trailer- The Ultimate Guide
Let it be the lawn mower or the riding lawn mower, and the difference lies in the size of the deck.
Well, the steps are the same that we explain here. The complete process includes only 2 steps-
- Placing the mower well
- Tie-down the mower
At First, Place the Mower in the Trailer Well
- Place your lawn or riding lawn mower in the middle place or the rear.
- Not too in the front or not too behind.
- There should be proper space both in the front and back of trailer. Placing them in the middle of the trailer will help you to tie them appropriately.
Again, we can provide a step-by-step guide to place the mower for better protection in the trailer.
- Before loading your zero-turn mower on the trailer, raise the mower’s deck and put it in transport mode. Ensure to go slow over the ramp with your mower without any hurry.
- When you load your mower into the trailer, you will see the trailer moving a bit slowly. Once you are up there, pause for some time to have no more movements in the trailer.
- Specifically, with the zero-turn mowers, weight is a big concern in the trailer; for properly ballasting your zero turn mower onto the trailer, it’s better to keep the rear wheels in the front side of trailer’s tires or what we call the axle.
- As the mower’s weight will be in the rear side, it is essential to place it in the trailer’s front part or properly ballasted. If you keep the zero turn mower on the trailer like this, there will be enough weight both in the trailer’s tongue and the axle.
Simple right? Yes, here you get the solution of how to secure a riding lawn mower on trailer. Keep on reading to know about lawn mower trailer tie down.
Second, Tie Down the Mower with the Trailer
We will be showing you the mower tie-down systems, with all the tips and essential things you need to know.
And tying with ratchet straps is the best way to secure zero turn on trailer.
However, if you were looking for ways on how to tie down a zero turn mower on a trailer, it will work as well.
- For securing your mower to the trailer, keep four ratchet straps. You can use the Ratchet Tie Down Straps from Augo, which are quite famour and reliable.
- No matter what type of mower you have, you will always be needing four ratchet straps as you have to tie them in the four corners.
- One important thing, tie your ratchet strap to the substantial part of the mower. But if your ratchet strap can not be placed inside the mower frame, then secure it by tying both ends of the strap. But it is wise to look for frames where you can attach your ratchet strap to the mower.
- Then tie the ratchet strap to the trailer pocket.
- Repeat the above steps mentioned on the rest of the three corners.
- Remember to put a little bit of tension when tying the ratchet, but do not tie it tight.
- Later after tying the straps of the back part, there you tie it tightly.
- After that, come to the front part and tightly tie the straps.
- Now the mower is secured on the trailer from the four corners.
- You might be left with some extra slack of the ratchet strap, so tie them up somewhere, but do not leave them loose in the trailer.
Following these steps will help you strapping lawn mower to the trailer; zero turn mower means any mower to the trailer.
Also, you should use good-quality power locker equipment to tie down like the jungle Boot Small to keep the mower from moving and safe from theft.
It removes the hassle of tying down the mower.
Oh, if you need the steps for how to keep mower from moving on trailer, follow the tie-down steps above, and you are good to go.
Things to Keep In Mind
Before you load any mowers into your trailer, you need to consider some important facts about the hitch.
- For the couplers in the trailer, be sure that you have the right size of the balls. And before loading mowers to the trailer, check and be sure that you are latched and pinned to the ball. That is because if the trailer is not latched and pinned correctly when you load the mower in the trailer, it will come up and off the ball.
- Ready breakaway cable and the safety chains. Remember not to make the common mistake of hooking the breakaway cable to the safety chain; hook them separately to the vehicle from the trailer.
After reading so far, you are now well-known about the steps of how to secure zero turn on trailer.
A Helpful Tutorial You May Need!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How can you secure a lawn mower on trailer?
To secure a lawn mower on a trailer, place the lawn mower in the middle and then tie it with four ratchet straps in the four corners by hooking with the axle of the lawnmower.
How to transport a riding lawn mower on a trailer?
Firstly, hook the trailer with your vehicle. Secondly, drive the riding mower up the ramp very slowly and carefully. Thirdly, position it in the middle of the trailer. That is how you transport a riding lawn mower on a trailer.
Can you load a zero turn with ramps?
Yes, you can load a zero turn with ramps, but it is unsafe and recommended not to do it.
After following all the steps written above, the next thing you are going to do is close the trailer’s gate and latch it.
Beginners find it hard that how to secure a zero turn mower on a trailer, but after reading this ultimate guide, you won’t face any problems.
As an extra tip, we suggest that nothing becomes perfect until you do it carefully, so do the work as explained and clarified above; you will become a pro soon on the activity of how to secure zero turn on a trailer.
You Can Also Read:
- Will a 60 inch Mower Fit on a 5×8 Trailer?
- What Size Trailer For 48 Inch Mower You Should Get?
- How to Drive A Zero Turn Mower with One Hand?
- How to Lower Deck on Dixie Chopper: Steps to Proper Deck Height
Enamored with the world of golf Jack pursued a degree in Golf Course Management at THE Ohio State University. This career path allowed him to work on some of the highest profile golf courses in the country! Due to the pandemic, Jack began Inside The Yard as a side hustle that quickly became his main hustle. Since starting the company, Jack has relocated to a homestead in Central Arkansas where he and his wife raise cattle and two little girls.