It’s high time you knew Husqvarna electric clutch troubleshooting steps. Most of the time, blade rotation inconvenience happens due to clutch problems.
A clutch should receive 12 volts of power to operate properly. Less voltage provides insufficient energy, and high voltage can melt the connections. Also, resistance lower than 2 or higher than 3 proves the damage inside the magnet. Sometimes, dirt collapses the connections of the pulley.
Inside this article, you will learn the technics of testing the tricky issues of your mower electric clutch. No matter how newbie you are in this lawn mechanics, you can easily resolve the clutch problem within a short time.
Husqvarna Electric Clutch Troubleshooting Guide
There can be many causes with your power takeoff (PTO) lawnmower, which ends with the blade’s failure. The symptoms of bad Husqvarna PTO clutch are:
- The mower will not start properly
- Creates a loud sound while spinning the blade
- Vibrates a lot during engaging
- The blade spins slowly
Most of the time, these problems occur for the clutch letdown. As a result, your lawn trimming turns to be a horrible time-wasting task. Moreover, it can’t manage to cut the grass finely and drains your mower’s power a lot.
How Do You Check the PTO Clutch on a Lawnmower?
Let’s find out the problems with a compact table about the Husqvarna electric clutch problem.
|Things Need to Check for Clutch||How To Check|
|Electrical power||Using Multimeter|
|Brake Pad||Removing the brake pad and pivot of the rotor|
|PTO Switch||Multimeter and test light|
|Pulley & drive belt||Inspect the tension underneath the mower deck.|
|Plates, springs & other small components||Disconnect the implements.|
Now, go for the explanation of Husqvarna clutch troubleshooting and solutions. At first, lower the mower deck for checking suitability or lift the deck by using a floor jack.
Check The Power Provided To The Clutch Is 12 Volts
- Take a multimeter. Set for voltage.
- The red wire is positive, and the black wire is negative. Inject the wires into the clutch plug, and you will hear a cling sound.
- If not, check for the voltage if it is 12 volts.
Below 12 volts shows that your clutch is not getting enough power. And the over 13 volts means your clutch is draining the power. Both are detrimental and indicate the lawnmower clutch problem.
In this case, replace the PTO clutch.
Check The Resistance Power Of The Magnet
There is an electromagnet inside the clutch. And you have to measure the ohms to find the resistance.
- Set your multimeter for ohms.
- Plug the multimeter into the clutch connection.
- If your ohm reading is in between 2-3, it’s ok.
Remember, the higher ohm means more amperage in the magnet, which will burn the system. On the contrary, fewer ohms indicate the problem in the system. Both are not ideal and, you need a new clutch replacement.
Clean The Brake Pad Pulley
During mowing, dirt, debris, and clogs block the brake liver, rotor, and caliper connection. There can be corrosion because of your long time mowing. It’s natural. But this blockage can worsen the pulley between the clutch and brake pad.
Sometimes only cleaning the connection can solve the Husqvarna PTO Clutch problem. If not, you have to change the brake pad to a new one. Changing a brake pad is not so tough but time-consuming as you need to lose the tension, screws carefully, and bent plate.
Check The Husqvarna PTO Switch Problem
If your Husqvarna PTO switch doesn’t make a cling sound after pressing it, there might be a clutch disconnect issue on the switch.
- Remove the deck and look at the underneath connection of the switch.
- There are three colors of wires where a blue wire connects the clutch.
- Test the blue wire with a test light. If it does not light, the connection isn’t ok, and you need to replace the switch.
Also, disconnect the switch from the wire and test all the ports with a multimeter.
How Do You Adjust An Electric Clutch On A Lawnmower
It’s a DIY task. Even you don’t carry a toolbox.
As a part of electric PTO clutch troubleshooting, it is time to replace the old clutch. Let’s disassemble the clutch first.
- Open the mower deck. There is a clutch connection plugged in on the chassis. Unplug it.
- Bend for the mower underneath to the clutch. Unscrew the big middle bolt and off the pulley.
- Here you see a keyway in the middle of the clutch and a slot on one side. Now take your new clutch.
- Place the clutch to the bolt hole. Line up the keyway bracket and the slot. Tighten the screw.
- Now push the new clutch plug to the chassis. Connect to the original power plug. It’s done.
How To Engage Blade On A Husqvarna Riding Mower
The clutch problem results in blade failure. This time a simple changing task of the blade will erase the problem. Your mower blade is under the mower deck.
- Take a wrench and socket and loosen the star bolt and washer of the blade.
- Take the new blade. Maintain the grass sider below the deck.
- Place it onto the star shaft and tighten the bolt.
A Helpful Tutorial You May Need!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I know if my electric clutch is bad?
A bad clutch won’t provide proper speed; rather, it will slow down. The PTO also gets too hot after some time of operation. Furthermore, your mower blade won’t spin ideally or will make a loud sound. Your mower may stop working at once.
What is a PTO slip clutch?
PTO slip clutch adjusted to the PTO shaft of a rotary cutter or bush hog. This device sustains the friction but does not impact cutting. There are three friction plates and two pressure plates designed like a sandwich. If the cutter blades face any obstacle during rotation, the friction plates slip to the pressure plates. It prevents shocks but allows the driver to learn about the shocks. Also, route the tractor at its usual speediness.
Can an electric clutch slip?
An electric clutch can slip because of too gaping between the plates. These gaps turn the magnet weak. As a result, the plates are getting hot and tend to slip.
Husqvarna electric clutch troubleshooting includes checking, finding out the clutch issue, and then replacing the new clutch.
When you face any mowing problem, go for the above checking steps. The electric clutch is a vital part of your mower. So before replacing it, you should confirm its functioning spot.
You Can Also Read:
Hi, I’m Mark Jason, the founder Of Inside The Yard. Anyone who feels inspired by the beauty of greenery, welcome to Inside Yard, a place that appreciates gems like you. I and my team would feel honored to have you join us here, where we share multiple contents on maintaining and creating your own green space. Whether it’s a garden you dream to make or simply for the love of your potted plant staying at the balcony, we want to help you live and love through this green peace.