How to Shorten a Throttle Cable on a Lawn Mower in 2 Easy Ways
How to shorten a throttle cable on a lawnmower? You can shorten the throttle cable of your lawnmower by taking off your entire throttle cable. Then, find out how many draws you require and cut the throttle accordingly. Here, in this article, you will know 2 ways to shorten your lawn mower’s throttle cable.
A braided metal wire that works as an automatic connection is called a throttle cable. It links the gas pedal and your mower engine’s throttle plate. First, however, it opens the throttle while the gas pedal is pressed.
But sometimes, it gets loose, and you may need to shorten it. Why spend your bucks for this while you can do it yourself? Let’s proceed to the further details for a better understanding.
How to Shorten a Throttle Cable on a Lawn Mower?
A lawnmower is a machine that cuts grass at a specific height based on its revolving blade design. Adjusting the lawnmower cable can be troublesome but not impossible either. So, let us introduce you to 2 ways for shortening a throttle cable on your lawn mower machine.
Method 1: Cut Off the Throttle Cable to Shorten your Lawn Mower Throttle Cable
Tools Required Here…
- Aluminum crimps
- Plier (with included wire cutter edge)
The handle of your lawn mower can fail to work if it is broken and may need replacing by a professional. Or you can do it by yourself by following the below stated instructions. Or you can just get this Oregon 60-426 lawn mower throttle cable repair kit.
- Firstly, pull out the whole cable to determine its size. You can find out the exact size draw by applying the same process for different RT carb lengths.
- Secondly, find out how much cable is pullable on one end.
- Then, remove the unnecessary throttle nipple.
- It’s time to remove the outer layer (glued handlebar grip) from the throttle. Trim the opposite end to your desired size.
- At this point, measure the length of your pull and cut the throttle cable according to that measurement.
- Then, install the carburetor cable brace that will save a lot of time and money in the long run.
- Crimp a piece of electric rear end plug on the wire’s end, then remove the cover in whatever way you like.
- Finally, reinstall the throttle cable and enjoy your lawn mowing task.
You can use acid core solder to eliminate existing grease or dirt, then adjust the cable. Close the remaining end with a crimp. Cut off the remaining lawn mower throttle cable end to ensure safety.
Method 2: Make a Loop on the Cable
You can shorten your lawn mower throttle cable by making a loop on it. Use a wrench to perform this task.
- First, insert the throttle cable on the throttle cable holding hole on the engine and pass through it.
- Now bend the cable end a little towards the line. In addition, use a small wrench to hold the throttle cable end.
- Then rotate the wrench clockwise to make a perfect loop.
- Finally, insert a crimp on it to secure the loop.
You May Like This Video Too!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you shorten a throttle cable?
If you have a lawn mower and want to reduce the throttle cord, you can do so by following the instructions mentioned above. In addition, if all of the pieces are available and the cable is not frayed inside the outer covering, you can shorten a damaged cable.
How do you adjust the throttle cable on a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower?
Set the throttle to “Fast” or “High” on the throttle lever. With a flat-head screwdriver, undo the screw that supports the bracket that holds the cable. Allow the cable to slide through the support by loosening it enough.
What is the best way to cut the throttle cable?
Wrap a piece of tape around it, label the cut, and use the finest cut-off roller you have on it. Carefully unroll the tape and insert it into the fitting, tightening the screw afterward.
The throttle cable of your lawn mower controls its efficiency as well as workability. However, sometimes the throttle cable may get damaged and need to be replaced or shortened for better efficiency. In this article, we have showcased 2 ways with a step-by-step guide to how to shorten a throttle cable on a lawnmower.
Your engine’s most critical component is the throttle cable. It is essential to the machine’s long-term efficiency. So, we hope now you can shorten your lawn mower’s throttle cable without facing any hassle.
You Can Also Read:
- How to Adjust Carburetor On Echo SRM 225? [A Step By Step Guide]
- How To Charge For Bush Hogging? Different Terrain, Difficulty, And Charges
- How Many Ohms Should a PTO Clutch Have? The Best Idea for you
- How to Remove Plastic Landscape Edging- Learn All the Techniques In Details
- How to Fix Lawn Striping from Fertilizer- Best Way to Fix
Enamored with the world of golf Jack pursued a degree in Golf Course Management at THE Ohio State University. This career path allowed him to work on some of the highest profile golf courses in the country! Due to the pandemic, Jack began Inside The Yard as a side hustle that quickly became his main hustle. Since starting the company, Jack has relocated to a homestead in Central Arkansas where he and his wife raise cattle and two little girls.